If your home is in need of new siding, it’s time to get excited! While many homeowners dread putting the money into such an expensive household renovation, we at Tony’s Lifetime Exteriors say it’s a time to celebrate. Siding of any sort is a valuable investment in the longevity of your home; it protects it from all kinds of precipitation, which includes our snow-heavy Minnesota winters and stormy summers. It also keeps your home safe from a variety of mold and moisture problems. It’s better to get mold on your siding, where you can wash it off, than mold in the inner workings of your home! Finally, new siding is a great way to completely change up your home’s look and make it your own. Look forward to a home that truly tells the world who you and your family are.
Whether you’re looking forward to replacing your siding or not, you might feel a little overwhelmed upon discovering all of the choices you have. From engineered wood siding, steel siding, vinyl siding, your options are seemingly endless! While no one kind of siding is inherently better than another, certain types of siding are better fits for some lifestyles, certain ideal maintenance levels, and specific budgets. Even knowing this, though, might not help you, as making a smart decision about a product of which you have a layperson’s knowledge is all but impossible.
Tony’s Lifetime Exteriors is here to help. As reputable and renowned siding contractors, we’re incredibly knowledgeable about the subject, and we’re ready to share what we know for free in this blog post. While we always recommend a personalized consultation so as to better understand your needs, below, we’ll discuss two types of siding—vinyl siding and steel siding—to help you determine what might fit your home better.
Vinyl Siding: Versatile and Affordable
Vinyl siding is extremely common, and it’s well-known for its affordability. If you’ve ever taken a drive through American suburbia, chances are many of the houses you see there have undergone vinyl siding installation. But don’t write vinyl siding off as “the economy option!” It’s true, it’s affordable and widely used, and it comes in a variety of colors and styles, which makes self-expression easy.
Vinyl siding is a great fit for homeowners who:
- Are on a tight budget | Vinyl siding offers great protection for the amount you pay for it. For homeowners who experience economic barriers to siding installation and hesitate to contact any siding companies whatsoever, the idea of an affordable solution that protects their home and suits their aesthetic needs is extremely appealing. Everyone should have a home that protects their family from mold, wind, and rain, and vinyl siding makes this possible for a variety of income levels.
- Live in an HOA | Depending on the HOA, the organization can place restraints on what type of siding you can and cannot have. Since vinyl siding is a classic choice, and one that fits in with a variety of neighborhood looks, it can be a safe choice for those looking for a conservative stylistic option.
- Want to express their individuality | As stated above, though vinyl siding doesn’t need to conform when it comes to looks, it’s available in countless bright colors, from pink to blue to red. If you’re the type who wants to make a bold statement with your incoming home renovation, vinyl siding can be an ideal choice.
Steel Siding: As Tough As Its Name Implies
Steel siding on houses? Yes, it’s a thing! While many homeowners today associate steel siding with pole barns or industrial buildings, the industry has evolved and changed so much, so that steel siding is now available for residential use. Steel siding is primarily known for its toughness and resistance to physical damage. Though it might cost you a little more than vinyl siding, it makes up for it in its longevity. In terms of aesthetics, it’s both sleek and unique!
Steel siding is a perfect fit for homeowners who:
- Want a modern-looking home | Though steel siding, like vinyl siding, comes in many different styles and colors, it looks particularly striking on homes that have a modern flair. If you’re looking to stand out and be the envy of the neighborhood, steel siding is definitely the way to go.
- Don’t want to deal with much maintenance | Steel siding truly comes out on top when it comes to low-maintenance beauty. Because it’s so tough against everything from sun damage to the wayward tree branch, you’re unlikely to have to pay for much care when you invest in steel siding.
- Are ready for a long-term investment | While both vinyl siding and steel siding are long-lasting, steel siding is often seen as the better option for homeowners who are looking for a product that’s with them for the long haul.
Still In-Between Styles? Tony’s Lifetime Exteriors is Ready to Help
Our Sauk Rapids office would be glad to help find the perfect siding for your needs—and start on the project while we’re at it! Give us a call now at 320-252-9086.