Whether it’s from a big storm or from simple wear-and-tear, the outcome is obvious: your windows have been damaged. Another thing that’s obvious: a home with damaged windows certainly isn’t one you’ll want to keep that way for long. If your windows aren’t functioning at their prime, you could be on the hook for higher energy bills, and you might experience poorly regulated temperatures and drafts in your home. Plus, when it comes to curb appeal, nothing says “dilapidated” and “neglected” like cracked or shabby windows.
One thing that might not be so obvious: Should you opt for repair or replacement? While you might crave the look of brand new windows and want to become the envy of the neighborhood with their help, a money-minded side of you might, in contrast, crave the savings that come with efficient and no-frills repair. Indeed, the repair-or-replace dilemma is a complicated one, and many homeowners can often see the benefits of both sides, causing them to get stuck in limbo and never call for window installation or storm damage repair at all. What a consequence-filled conundrum!
Tony’s Lifetime Exteriors is here to help settle things for good. As old hands in both storm damage and window replacement, we’ve helped many homeowners find the right fix for their damaged windows, and we’re ready to help you, too. Below, we’ll tease apart whether it’s a better choice to repair or replace your windows and give you a few situations in which one option might be smarter than the other.
Window Repair: A Great Fit When Storms Hit
Whether repair or replacement is best depends on a number of personal circumstances; no one option is inherently better than the other. The situation dictates their warrant and merit. One situation in which repair might be a smarter solution is in the case of storm damage.
- There’s no sense in replacing personally functioning windows | unless you’re ready for an aesthetic change. The passing storm most likely hasn’t completely wrecked each and every single window of your home (if it did, your house probably wouldn’t be standing at the moment). Repairing your windows with a local provider of storm restoration services might be more economically feasible for you in this case.
- Insurance might be able to help fund your repairs | Storm damage is often called an “act of God” in insurance policies, meaning it was an event that could not be predicted and was beyond your control. Many insurance companies cover such events (though individual policies may vary depending on your location and your company). If you can get insurance on your side—something that we at Tony’s Lifetime Exteriors are more than happy to help with—storm damage repair for your windows could be the route for you.
- Storm restoration can mean you make fewer big decisions | After a heavy storm, you’re most likely emotionally compromised, which is certainly not a state you want to be in when you make big decisions! Opting for storm restoration post-disaster can not only be a smart economic choice but a smart, emotional one, too.
What About Window Replacement?
It’s certainly a smart route in some situations, too. You might even end up replacing your windows post-storm! Making the autonomous decision to replace one’s windows is often preceded by:
- A desire for an aesthetic change | As stated above, replacing all of your windows might be called for when it’s time for an aesthetic overhaul. Mismatched windows are not a desirable look to emulate in most cases! If you’re feeling guilty about discarding perfectly functioning windows, look into recycling programs in your area. Otherwise, you can consider donating them to local humanitarian efforts.
- Increasing energy bills | Are your heating and cooling budgets increasing, even though your behaviors haven’t notably changed? Inefficient or poorly-functioning windows could be to blame. There’s no shame in upgrading your whole house to more energy-efficient windows; the environment will thank you, and so will your pocketbook.
- Beginning to put your home on the market | New windows can increase your home’s resale value (though annual trends, as well as local factors, can dictate how smart of an investment this is). If you’re serious about putting your home on the market, or have already done so and are having trouble getting the kinds of offers you want, ask your realtor if new windows could help you achieve more desirable outcomes.
Whether You Need Storm Damage Repair or Window Replacement, Tony’s Lifetime Exteriors is Here to Help
With our large in-house crew and our years of dedication to the field, we’ve made our marks as top-notch window installers and storm damage repair professionals with the reviews and reputation to prove it. Give our Sauk Rapids office a call at 320-252-9086 and experience true quality work and service with a smile, both for an affordable price.